rattling cat?

From: Jim Miller (jim76712@swbell.net)
Date: Sun Mar 04 2001 - 16:51:07 EST

I have developed a rattling sound under my 99 R/T and at first I thought from the
sound it might have been a heat shield but after crawling under the truck with it
running, I could tell the sound was coming from the area of the cat and pushing on
the heat shields did not stop the noise. It sounds just like it is coming from
inside the cat. Anyone else? If this is true than the cat can be replaced legally?
The truck is still under warranty unless the dealer says the Mopar headers which
weld to the cat could have caused the failure. They have been on the truck for over
20k miles and the noise just started. My dealer can not change the cat because they
do not do exhaust work and have no welding equipment. I wonder if i can use a HP
cat of some kind or is there an application for the 99 R/T with the dual inlet? I
am sure someone on this group knows!
Jim in Waco.