Re: Good O2 Sensor Installation/Info Link

From: Shane Moseley (smoseley@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Sun Mar 04 2001 - 17:39:38 EST

Kyle Kozubal wrote:

> Shane,
> So basically does this mean that A/F Ratio Monitors are fairly useless on
> our trucks when tapping into the stock 02 Sensor? I did think about this
> because when scanning my truck, the 02 sensor was going all the volt range,
> which would explain the display on the Auto Meter A/F Monitor:
> http://www.autometer.com/hp/techtips/air_fuel_hookup/air_fuel_hookup.html
> Good to know before I actually did a Summit order tonight.

I guess I'm a little confused why you would think they would not work. They
work perfectly - just as they are designed to. I was just stating that you will
not be able to use them to try to tune your truck around say 12.5 (or anything
other than 14.7) to 1. Only a wide-band sensor can show true values that are in
the range of 9-17 to 1 ratios.

My gauge has been tapped directly into the O2 sensor signal wire (black) about 6
inches up the harness from the actual sensor sticking out of the front of the
cat for over 3 years and has been working fine. As mentioned before - you'll
never guess about whether you are going lean or rich under boost, WOT, idle or
whatever condition again. In fact, you will see instead that what I've been
saying about being under closed loop control over 95% of the time (oscillating
like shown on the webpage) is part of the PCMs strategy to meet the federal
emissions regulations.

I recommend an A/F gauge to anyone with a vehicle (incl. boats, motorcycles,
etc) that even HAS O2 sensors before the modding starts. I first bought mine as
an insurance policy if you will - then it turns out to be the best tuning aid
I've found besides my scan tool.

Hope that helps - if not - just keep asking questions...

Latr,

Shane

ps - Sterling Marlin takes 3rd !! Woohoo! Him, Ward, and Bill are standing
pretty good in the points race...

--
'96 IndyRam-HisIndy-MPI/TB/Pulleys/AccelCoil/MPComp/HookerSuperComps/CompTAs
'96 IndyRam-HerIndy-numbered(#142)"Track Truck"