pulled codes

From: Chris Hannon (cannon@kansas.net)
Date: Mon Mar 05 2001 - 02:47:25 EST

Tonight when I opened the door of my truck I noticed that the interior
light was a wee bit dim. I didn't think much of it and tried to start
the truck. It wouldn't turn over so I tried it again. It started up how
it should, but I noticed that the check engine light came on. Really
strange because with the MSD it always starts up super fast, even after
sitting for a couple days. I pulled the codes and came up with code 41
which is - charging system excess or lack of field. What would be
causing that?

A couple of weeks ago I did change the cap and rotor as well as spark
plugs (3923's, gapped to .040). I didn't notice any improvement and now
there's a damn clicking noise coming from the distributor. The truck has
numerous other things wrong with it which makes all kinds of noise
(shotty aftermarket clutch whining, rear end whistling, timing chain
rattling), so I didn't think much of the addition of new noise. Anyone
know what'd cause the clicking?

Also, while I'm at it, I'd like to check about this too. Ever since I
had the 3.9:1 gears and Power-trax locker (the old model) put in the
trucks been doing some crazy shit. Aside from sounding like and feeling
like being hit by a sledge hammer periodically (which I'm told is
somewhat normal), it seems that whenever I accelerate, decelearate, or
shift gears, the truck has the tendency to jump to the side. It doesn't
do it all the time and I guess I've become used to it. It kind of
freaks out my dad when my Dak's front jerks to the right rapidly and
straightens out again.

Sorry about my rambling. Don't get me wrong, I love my Dodge and have
great plans for it. But, with me being in high school, concentrating on
school work, playing sports, messing with girls, and hanging out with
friends, I have a shortage of time to do work and a pretty lousy cash
flow to fund it.

TIA,
Chris Hannon
95 Dak Sport V6 360 work in progress