Re: Wipers STB!

From: Al & Jeanna Figols (ALJF@mhonline.net)
Date: Mon Mar 05 2001 - 19:54:21 EST

My former 96 Chevy truck had a similar problem associated with the
northeast(I'm in Hudson, NY). When I got some ice build up on the
wipers they would stop just like you say your's did. When mine stopped
I would turn off the switch for about 10 minutes or so, clean off the
snow and ice build up, crank up the defroster vents(to help minimize ice
build up) and turn them back on. 9 out of 10 times they would be fine
again for awhile. In my case I had a wiper motor that was going bad and
with the ice build up, would cause the motor to draw excessive current,
tripping the internal breaker. Allowing it to cool caused the breaker
to close again and the cycle would continue. Replacing the motor cured
the problem, but I did allow it to go on for about a year before I got
around to replace it.
Al