Re: AC compressor kicking on and off

From: Jack Hilton (hemi@charter.net)
Date: Tue Mar 06 2001 - 12:05:00 EST

On the 97+ trucks, the bottom knob, the one that controls the direction of the
air, the first three selections from left to right are AC. On most 97 and 98
trucks, the third one, bi-level, which controls air flow to both the dash and
the footwell, is also AC, even though most of these trucks do not have it
labeled as such. There was a TSB for this which involved simply adding a new
decal to the dash that indicated it would be AC in that position. There is no
way to completely turn off the system. If you have the lower knob all the way
to the left, the AC is on.Also, if you have the lower knob in a position that
would make the AC be on, and the fan speed is set at low, then the compressor
will kick on and off as it is only being asked to cool a little bit. If you hit
the fan to high, I bet it stays on .

Jack 3