Re: RE: 1996 NP231 D Dakota Transfer Case needed...

From: Shawn (englehart@Sympatico.ca)
Date: Tue Mar 06 2001 - 19:45:20 EST

Same thing happened to my 96, but I noticed that there was a lead, took it to the dealer, I thought it was the drive shaft seal but the dealer told me it was ok. Went back and the they said it was the O-ring around the speed sensor, they replaced the O-ring and I had them replace the fluid in the T-case and Transmission at the same time. I went back
again complaining that the T-case would not stay in 4X4 Hi or Lo, always went back to 2 wheel or neutral, told me they must of cut the O-ring and the T-case was dry. Replaced the O-ring and missing fluid no charge. Went back with the same problem, but worse, was dry again and this is when they discovered it was the sensor leaking. Had to buy the
sensor and they replaced the fluid no charge. To late, the T-case was still difficult to shift and would not stay in place, once it was in 4X4, had to hold it for a mile or two to get it to stay in 2 wheel. Dealer told me it was not there fault, after 2 initial visits for the leak and then five visits for the shifting problems. Then they offered that
they remove the T-case and take it apart and repair what was needed, I pay and then they send the bill to Chrysler to see if they would pay for it. I refused, did not want them to work on my truck anymore, took it to a transmission shop, cost me $350, two kits, and all of the parts were a little bit gummed up from one end to the other. I was lucky
there was not much damage and I caught it in time. Did not mean to go on for so long.

Shawn