Re: New Quad Cab on the way!

From: Al & Jeanna Figols (ALJF@mhonline.net)
Date: Wed Mar 07 2001 - 09:32:10 EST

 Overall I love my '00 QC. It goes through the snow better than any 4X4
I've had in the past, has very strong pulling power(I have the 4.7L
auto), is extremely comfortable to drive(so much so I don't want to
drive my other cars anymore), the back seat is larger than most cars and
the ride is surprising smooth for a 4X4 with the heavy duty suspension.
 My 2 previous trucks were a 3/4 ton '90 full size extended cab that I
sold with 240K miles(never had a single problem with it!)and a 1/2 ton
'96 full size chevy that I sold with 120K miles. The Dakota is, for me,
a way to consolidate my too many cars. It combined my daily driver('96
Cherokee) with my truck(96 chevy). I do miss not haveing a full size 8'
bed, but that's the compromise of going down size(not in power
though!)and consolidating vehicles.
 I do have to say tha I am disapointed with the refinment of the Dakota
for the money spent. Niether one of my Chevy's(or anyones else that I
know) ever needed to go back for warranty work, but my Dakota has been
back several times. I'm not trilled with the shifting quality of the
automatic transmission(a constant thread on the DML), but the dealer
says there is nothing to do about it. Mostly the warranty work has been
electronics related, due to the new engine/transmission, but I did have
to take it back when it was new because my tires were never baclanced
from the factory!!. I'm now at 14K miles, taking it back for a sticking
rear brake that has caused a drum to warp and a driveline vibration that
started out a 75MPH(I do alot of highway driving)and now is showing up
at 60MPH. Another problem of concern for me is the paint. I've already
had to have it buffed out once and after the winter is over I'll
probably have to have it buffed again! It scrathes when the wind
blows!!
 I guess since I came from good luck and quality from Chevy, I expected
atleast the same from Dodge especially since they're owned by Mercedes.
Chrylser makes beautiful looking exteriors and very user
friendly/comfortable interiors. They just need to refine the rest of
the package before they release it to the market.
 Don't get me wrong, like I said earlier I love my QC! I plan to run it
up to atleast 120K miles(which should take about 2.5-3 years)and at that
point I will decide if Dodge has won me over completely. Would I
recommend a QC?? Absolutely! If a 4 door compact/midsize truck is what
you need, you won't fine a better deal, more powerful or overall more of
a truck for the money than the Dakota.
 Hope this was the info youwere looking for.
Al