RE: Ignition Coils & Controls - Difference?

From: Ronald Wong (ron-wong@home.com)
Date: Thu Mar 08 2001 - 11:43:47 EST

What MSD touts for their devices (and I'm inclined to believe them) is more
HP and better MPG. I believe someone on this list has posted some results
from this. The coil can handle a secondary voltage of up to (48000-55000)
volts. This is dependent on which one you buy. Notice I said up to. That
is dependent upon the amount of primary voltage present to the primary field
in the coil prior to the collapse of that magnetic field. In a stock
ignition you have 12 volts. That's what is presented to the coil. The
MSD-6 ignitions step that 12 volts up to 470 volts. The 470 is what is
presented to the coil. The theory is the more power you put out to the plug
tip the more energy you produce and a more complete burn of fuel. This
produces more power and better MPG. Of course, this high voltage has some
detrimental effects as well. Your cap, rotor, and plugs don't last nearly
as long (recommended change of all these items every 10,000 miles). Costs
through Summit for the MSD ignition, coil, spark plug wires, and harness
runs close to $300.

Ron
00 PB SLT QC 4X2 5.9 46RE 3.92 LSD