RE: Ignition Coils & Controls - Difference?

From: Jack Paulson (cybermail1@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Mar 08 2001 - 11:23:59 EST

Ron,
Thanks for the reply - too technical for me.
Basically, I don't understand is the result of what
they do for the truck (horsepower, torque, mpg???).

Let's say I just get an ignition coil with the stock
ignition system - what would that do for me -
anything?

Thanks
--- Ronald Wong <ron-wong@home.com> wrote:
> Basically, the ignition control holds the spark
> duration for 20º of
> crankshaft rotation and steps up the primary voltage
> to 470 volts. The
> ignition coil steps up secondary voltage to a
> maximum of 48,000 volts when
> used in conjunction with an MSD Ignition Control.
>
> Ron
> 00 PB SLT QC 4X2 5.9 46RE 3.92 LSD

=====
2000 Quad Cab 4X4-Sport V-6 Automatic Sports Plus Package
31X10.5 tires Limited Slip 3.55 Trailer Tow Group
HD Package Skid Plates Added:Airaid air filter,Flowmaster 3 chamber,
Steel Horse Torneau cover, Autolite Double Platinum 3923 Plugs,
Removed air horns from Throttle Boddy, added new TB bolts,
Cool Tape around air filter and A/C tubes-Smyrna, Georgia