Re: RE: Hughes Engines 4.7L 68mm flow data is in......

From: Tod Oace (tod@quay.com)
Date: Fri Mar 09 2001 - 00:27:14 EST

Hey Bruce:
Got any computer video of one of your throttle bodies being machined? I saw
a program about tools on the History channel some weeks back and they showed
some machining center video. Just amazing! Looking forward to your 69mm
TB.

And for anyone on the list:
I finally got my 2001 4.7L quad cab 3 weeks ago. It's *really* nice. +700
miles and no problems whatsoever so far. Well, a rock or something from the
freeway did take a little chip out of my windshield within the first couple
hundred miles. But other than that...it's perfect.

I'm going to switch to synthetic at some point relatively soon. Then I'll
try opening up the intake. Dunno what I'm going to do yet. Looks like the
K&N gen II isn't available for the 4.7L yet? I sent them email but haven't
heard back yet. Maybe I'll just start by replacing the factory filter with
a high flow K&N. You know, sort of get my wife used to the idea of me
spending money on mods. :-)

Oh...about the 180 degree thermostat... Lotsa folks here have said 183
degrees is optimal for the engine, but 195 was chosen for emissions. So
does that mean going with the 180 degree thermostat is bad for the
environment? Or only a little bit? I want what's good for my engine, but I
do also care about the environment. And yes, this is coming from a guy who
in high school went up to Canada to get a Canadian head for his 79' Honda
Accord to replace is slower burning but better for the environment 3 valve
per cylinder (CVCC) U.S. cylinder head. And then swapped the old head back
on and then off to get it through DEQ. Pretty bad... :-)

But back to the present.... No...wait... Off to the future.... Some year
soon, I would absolutely love to have a supercharger, and all the stuff to
support it. But without getting radical like Will (either Will :) ). Gonna
have to stick with the relatively cheaper performance mods until then
though. -Tod