Re: Blown Head Gasket???

From: Steve Owens (sowens01@rochester.rr.com)
Date: Fri Mar 09 2001 - 19:57:53 EST

Hmm, this sounds similar to what was going on with my old truck. The temp
would go way up (not to overheating, but it definitely made me nervous). I
had the thermo replaced, the water pump, and the fan clutch. Nothing
seemed to cure the problem.

According to the guys working on the truck, this is a symptom of head
gasket "lift". The head gasket delaminates slightly, leaving a gap where
air can get into the water passages. This builds up behind the thermo,
keeping it from opening until it gets really warm, then it slams open
allowing water to flow again.

At least this is what I was told.

The problem is that a sticking thermo will cause the same problem, I'd
start by having that replaced to see if it fixes the problem. If it
doesn't, it could very well be the head gaskets.

My solution? I bought my Dak. ;-)