RE: Aamco transmission ripped me off

From: Mike Styer (m_styer@go.com)
Date: Sat Mar 10 2001 - 14:04:59 EST

Tom,

DEFINITELY take this problem to a higher source. The trans on my best friends 89 manual went out (all the gears were stripped) and i helped him install a rebuilt from a salvage yard. it was my first time doing tranny work, but according to the FSM we did everything right. The rebuilt tranny blew up about 3 months laters. After threatening the salvage yard with a lawsuit, my buddy got his money back and went to Aamco. He was worried that we had done something wrong and just wanted the assurances that a "professional" was taking care of it.

A week and $1300 later, my buddy got his truck back from Aamco. The "rebuilt" tranny they installed was now making a whining noise and it started crapping out about 3 months later. Additionally, someone at the shop STOLE the speakers out of his door, disconnected the stock radio for some reason, lost or STOLE the interior door handle trim. When my bud finally let me look at the tranny after Aamco screwed with it, I discovered the speedometer cable was missing (my pal was driving around for 3 months with no speed- or odometer) and they had didn't even change the throwout bearing they had charged him for.

Because of this and other family members experiences with different type shops, I ALWAYS do my own work on my truck. The only thing I will take it to a shop for an alignment of installing tires, things I dont have the tools or access to the tools to do. In this world of corporations and big business, who can you trust? i went to the bank yesterday that I was not a member of to cash $3 in change I had rolled, and they wouldnt take it if it was rolled. So I dumpoed it out on the counter and watched her count all that change. Even at the local barber (wannabe salon) they refused to shave the back of the neck (a procedure necessary for men with short hair cuts). Argh. Sorry I am venting now. I will stop :)

Mike S.
93 Dak 5 speed V6 CC