Fuel Vapor Purge Solenoid (was Re: Black box under truck?)

From: Shane Moseley (smoseley@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Sat Mar 10 2001 - 14:32:04 EST

fawcett@uism.bu.edu wrote:

> Yeah it's a no maintenance thing but be careful you don't pull one of the tubes
> out... I did somehow and it set off the check engine light (MIL).

I can't speak on the black box under truck thingy (cause mine is under the hood) but
if this is your charcoal cannister, it receives fumes or vapors that accumulate and
get pressurized by the fuel sloshing around in the gas tank.

I pulled mine out along with all the vacuum hoses that connect it to the solenoid
(black thing on back of drivers side fuel rail). I also removed the line that teed
into the intake manifold full-vacuum port during my MPI install. This was at least
1.5 years ago if not 2+ years. The ONLY adverse effect that I have found is that if
you have a very full tank of gas and do alot of quick stops and hard launches, it
will cause the pressure to build up and will case the "Incorrect purge flow" MIL to
illuminate. Its only happened to me about 4 times in a LONG time. Since I always
have my scan tool and cable (connected fulltime 8) - I just turn it off. Believe it
or not - having it come on - and knowing how to cause it to come on - actually
HELPED me demo my scan tools ability to turn off the MIL. I didn't even have to
stop - open hood - and dink w/something....just did a few stop-n-gos w/a full
tank...

No - I don't have to bow down to the smog lords 8). And you must leave the solenoid
electrical connection connected at all times (mines just hanging off the harness
back there somewhere) or you will get a permanent MIL.

My $0.02 - hope it helps...

Latr,

Shane (2,021 DML messages to go 8( )

--
'96 IndyRam-HisIndy-MPI/TB/Pulleys/AccelCoil/MPComp/HookerSuperComps/CompTAs
'96 IndyRam-HerIndy-numbered(#142)"Track Truck"