RE: Changing a camshaft

From: Jon Smith (jon@fast4x4.net)
Date: Mon Mar 12 2001 - 14:55:03 EST

1st and foremost, bring motor to TDC on #1.. pull the intake and valve
covers, alt a/c bracketry, harmonic balancer, timing chain cover. remove
pushrods and lifters (don't need to remove heads) and keep seperated, make
sure you know which lifter came out of which hole, and DO NOT mix them up!
pull the timing chain, noting indexing marks, keyway on the cam will be
~4:00 position. remove cam retaining plate (3) 1/2" bolts... thread a
loooooong bolt into the end of the cam (a handle!) and GENTLY pull the cam
out, take your time and make damn sure you don't nick the cam bearings on
the way out :)

install is the reverse, make sure the keyway is in the same position, and
make sure the timing marks on your new DOUBLE ROLLER timing chain line up :)
______________________
Jon Smith--Raleigh, NC
   www.fast4x4.net
   jon@fast4x4.net
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

-How hard is this to do?? I imagine not hard, but is there a way to
-pull the
-lifters out with the rods through the heads, or do I have to pull the
-heads/intake manifold off??
- If someone cam give me a quick rundown on how to accomplish this on a
-magnum engine I'd greatly appreciate it.
-
-Thank ya!
-
--Austin