Re: New Spark Plugs

From: Leonard Price (lprice@consultronics.com)
Date: Tue Mar 13 2001 - 11:57:25 EST

Boy a little bit of knowledge sure is a big problem. I called around
looking for Autolites 3923 and there was a store locater for Autolite
plugs, not the least of which was Wal-mart but they didn't have that
number. One of the suppliers said they didn't carry Autolites but could sub
a Champion and came up with a number RC9YC4, and when I told him it was for
a 98Dak 5.2L he mentioned RC12LC4 as was suggested by Chrysler. He said
that the one I'm looking for was a whole different plug. Can someone
inform me of the reason for this type of plug. Keep in mind I do not go
to the track and the only time I see 5K RPM is when I look at the far right
side of the speedometer but my needle never sees anything above 4K and that
s rarely. This quest for perfection sure is confusing .

At 10:08 AM 3/13/01 -0500, you wrote:
>At 08:40 AM 3/13/01 -0500, you wrote:
>>Hi there Bob, I had a look under the hood of my truck and the listing
>>for the spark plugs was "RC12LC4" 1.02mm
>>was wondering what was the thought on Bosch platinum as a substitute,
>>for the hard to find Autolights. Also enlighten me a little is 1.02mm the
>>same as .40" Leonard A. Price
>
>The 0.040" (~ 1.02mm, I think) is the factory recommended gap for the
>stock Champion RC12LC4 plugs on our magnums. I've also tried
>the Champion Truck plugs (really expensive). I found that the recommended
>gap worked well for street driving but the electrodes wore fairly quickly.
>Because I race at the track, I found that the 0.035" gap worked best
>at high rpms (no misfires). This gap also works well on the streets for me.
>I've run the Autolites a full race season and on the streets and the
>wear has been minimum for me.
>
>I know the platinum plugs are not recommended if you using an
>aftermarket hot ignition box (e.g. MSD, etc.) and I don't remember any
>position comments about them from the list on the stock ignition system.
>The pro for the platinums are supposed to be the longer wear and less
>resistance than copper. The con is the cost.
>
>My suggestion would be to phone a Ford dealer parts dept. near you
>and ask if they carry the Autolites. I could get you the Autolites but
>the problem is how to get them to you. I may be down in the
>McCowan/Sheppard area in a few weeks but won't know for sure
>for a little while. If you can wait that long, I'll get in touch with you
>when I know.
>
>Bob

Leonard A. Price
lprice@consultronics.com