Re: New Spark Plugs

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Tue Mar 13 2001 - 10:08:10 EST

At 08:40 AM 3/13/01 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi there Bob, I had a look under the hood of my truck and the listing
>for the spark plugs was "RC12LC4" 1.02mm
>was wondering what was the thought on Bosch platinum as a substitute,
>for the hard to find Autolights. Also enlighten me a little is 1.02mm the
>same as .40" Leonard A. Price

The 0.040" (~ 1.02mm, I think) is the factory recommended gap for the
stock Champion RC12LC4 plugs on our magnums. I've also tried
the Champion Truck plugs (really expensive). I found that the recommended
gap worked well for street driving but the electrodes wore fairly quickly.
Because I race at the track, I found that the 0.035" gap worked best
at high rpms (no misfires). This gap also works well on the streets for me.
I've run the Autolites a full race season and on the streets and the
wear has been minimum for me.

I know the platinum plugs are not recommended if you using an
aftermarket hot ignition box (e.g. MSD, etc.) and I don't remember any
position comments about them from the list on the stock ignition system.
The pro for the platinums are supposed to be the longer wear and less
resistance than copper. The con is the cost.

My suggestion would be to phone a Ford dealer parts dept. near you
and ask if they carry the Autolites. I could get you the Autolites but
the problem is how to get them to you. I may be down in the
McCowan/Sheppard area in a few weeks but won't know for sure
for a little while. If you can wait that long, I'll get in touch with you
when I know.

Bob