Pondering a project truck...opinions and suggestions

From: Mike's Dakota (mikesdakota@home.com)
Date: Wed Mar 14 2001 - 11:40:46 EST

I need to get a lil street truck for nice weather driving here in Denver. I
found one that is 1988 DODGE DAKOTA, 4x2, LE, V-6 engine, LB, automatic
transmission, air conditioning, newer tires, this is a parts TRUCK, ign
switch inop, electric problems, no radio, no exhaust, TRUCK does run. It's
only $750 Now....mind you, this is a project truck and a to be daily driver.
I would have to drop it a little and put on all the go-fast and style
goodies. I want to slap a 360 from a 1998-2000 in it and dump my money into
this instead of into my 1999 4x4 SLT CC 318. Has anyone on the list done a
V-8 magnum swap into something this old? I know the complete engine and
harness would have to be replaced, and the tranny too (191k on it). What
other problems could I be looking at as far as fitment of the engine? Would
I need to replace the rear end or the front springs or anything? Does
anyone have any pics of a dropped GenI longbed regular cab? I'm not sure
about what it would look like.
It looks like I can get a 360 from a wrecked Dodge truck, Dakota, or Durango
for about 1500 to 1750 so finding a motor is not going to be an issue.