Re: Synthetics was Re: RE: Clicking/Clacking noise coming from engine on cold starts

From: Miles Harris (spikes_duall@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Mar 14 2001 - 19:13:08 EST

While we are on the subject (like we ever leave since it reappears almost
weekly). My wife's new Saturn is coming up on its first oil change. Should
I go to synthetics now (3000 miles) or give the engine till 6 or 9K to
break in before running synthetics?

--
Miles Harris III
Simi Valley, CA

bernd@texas.net wrote in article <200103142053.f2EKr1x29601@mw3.texas.net>... > > GM, Ford, BMW, and a few of the other imports are putting synthetic in right > from the start. > > As for the Quaker State oil in general...I won't ever touch it again. I had > purchased some of their "Offroad Blend" for a test and after 1500 miles, my oil > pressure gauge was fluctuating. I drained the oil (all 4 qts - cold engine as > well) and it just ran out like water. My neighbor saw this as well and was > rather disturbed on how thin the oil was from Quaker state after only 1500 > miles. (It's not a pretty sight!) > > - Bernd > > > I'm not sure, but I think Quaker State is implying the same things in their > > new ads (dire consequences if you don't use Quaker State). The ones with > > the attractive actress from the show "King of Queens" (don't know her > > name). Next time I see the commercial I'll have to pay more attention to > > what she is saying. > > > > Regarding additives in general. Ever new car owner's manual I have read > > (and I've read a few) recommend against oil additives. I assume that is for > > a reason, however, some manufactures are putting synthetic oils in some of > > there cars (I believe at least the Vette). I assume that is for a reason > > also. > > > > -- > > Miles Harris III > > >