RE: Synthetics was Re: RE: Clicking/Clacking noise coming from engine on cold starts

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Wed Mar 14 2001 - 19:31:39 EST

3000 miles is fine.

- Bernd

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-dakota-truck@BUFFNET.NET
[mailto:owner-dakota-truck@BUFFNET.NET]On Behalf Of Miles Harris
Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2001 6:13 PM
To: dakota-truck-moderator@bent.twistedbits.net
Subject: Re: DML: Synthetics was Re: RE: Clicking/Clacking noise coming
from engine on cold starts

While we are on the subject (like we ever leave since it reappears almost
weekly). My wife's new Saturn is coming up on its first oil change. Should
I go to synthetics now (3000 miles) or give the engine till 6 or 9K to
break in before running synthetics?

--
Miles Harris III
Simi Valley, CA

bernd@texas.net wrote in article <200103142053.f2EKr1x29601@mw3.texas.net>... > > GM, Ford, BMW, and a few of the other imports are putting synthetic in right > from the start. > > As for the Quaker State oil in general...I won't ever touch it again. I had > purchased some of their "Offroad Blend" for a test and after 1500 miles, my oil > pressure gauge was fluctuating. I drained the oil (all 4 qts - cold engine as > well) and it just ran out like water. My neighbor saw this as well and was > rather disturbed on how thin the oil was from Quaker state after only 1500 > miles. (It's not a pretty sight!) > > - Bernd > > > I'm not sure, but I think Quaker State is implying the same things in their > > new ads (dire consequences if you don't use Quaker State). The ones with > > the attractive actress from the show "King of Queens" (don't know her > > name). Next time I see the commercial I'll have to pay more attention to > > what she is saying. > > > > Regarding additives in general. Ever new car owner's manual I have read > > (and I've read a few) recommend against oil additives. I assume that is for > > a reason, however, some manufactures are putting synthetic oils in some of > > there cars (I believe at least the Vette). I assume that is for a reason > > also. > > > > -- > > Miles Harris III > > >