Re: ATF +3 VS 7176 transmission fluid

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Fri Mar 16 2001 - 19:40:54 EST

At 07:03 PM 3/16/01 -0500, you wrote:
>I'm getting ready to change my transmission fluid again, I change it every
>30,000 miles as I
>use my truck for towing quite abit. Anyway last time I changed it I put
>in 7176 fluid like the
>manual called for, but when I went to buy my fluid today all anyone had
>for Chrysler products
>was ATF +3. Is ATF +3 the same as 7176 and is it compatible with
>7176? Hate to go to the
>dealer and paid their prices for transmission fluid but if ATF +3 isn't
>the same as 7176 I
>guess that I will. Bob Nicks 95 Dakota CC V-8

Not 100% sure but I think that some GM trannies use an ATF+3 that is not
type 7176.

If I might suggest, since you tow quite a bit, you consider putting in a
tranny cooler.
Number one cause for tranny problems is heat buildup.

Hope this helps.

Bob Tom Burlington, Ont., Canada
'97 Dakota Sport, 4x2, CC, Flame red, 5.2L, auto., 3.92SG