PCM/SMEC Questions

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Sat Mar 17 2001 - 17:17:23 EST

Fearing the worst, I just called around today to see what new PCMs(SMEC/main
computer) cost. Just for kicks I called the dealer and they told me $631! I
called around more and more and found NAPA wanted $220 for a new one while a
local speed shop/machine shop told me they could get me a one for $171.50.
With a discount my dad's friend has at this shop, I should be able to pick
this one up for $155, from the initial $171.50. Of course these are
remanufactured units, but I could never afford to pay $631 through the
dealer. I know there are shops throughout the country which allow you to
send in your main computer for reworking, rebuilding, performance upgrades,
etc. Will these companies be able to beat the $155ish price for the
remanufactured computer? If so, does anyone know of various websites I can
look at or companies I can call to get estimates on 'rebuilding' my possibly
bad PCM? Thanks a ton. I havent seen my Dak since early Thursday morning,
wahhhhhhhhhh! Thanks for any leads/info.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6