Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Jet Chip vs Mopar Computer - which to use??

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Tue Mar 20 2001 - 22:21:57 EST

At 05:47 PM 3/20/01 -0500, you wrote:
>In a message dated 3/20/01 5:25:07 PM Eastern Standard Time,
>ron-wong@home.com writes:
>
> > You are probably right. I don't know about 92 318's. I just know that not
> > every Dak engine's rev limiter gets changed to 6200 going from stock
> to HP.
> > Mine doesn't.
>
>Keep in mind that just because your limiter lets you rev that high that you
>should wind every gear out to 6000 rpm. The reason our motors are set for
>5200 stock is because after that our valve springs begin to play basketball
>with the valves, and you lose more HP due to unstable valving than you gain
>from the extra rpm. I changed to MP valvesprings and retainers to alleviate
>this problem, but even with that I don't shift after 5000 rpm.
> Anyone wanna key in on this? -Austin

That's an affirmative on the stock valve springs. I had that pleasure
a couple of times during my first year with the truck at the track.
Valve stems did a little tap dance on the piston heads, called valve float.

According to Kuk (KRC Performance), the MP valve springs and retainers
are good to 6000 rpms.

Bob Tom Burlington, Ont., Canada
'97 Dakota Sport, 4x2, CC, Flame red, 5.2L, auto., 3.92SG