Re: I'll ask AGAIN

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Wed Mar 21 2001 - 10:51:04 EST

At 08:08 AM 3/21/01 -0800, you wrote:
>OK all, I made a deal with the wife, if I found out that I could run 89 oct
>in my 92 V8 around town with no pinging, she'd let me spend the money
>forvthe computer (we just spent 200 at the Gator Nationals this weekend)
>SO what do you think, can you get by with 89 just around town and highway
>staying off the throttle with the performance computer?? Granted I would
>put 93 in it when I take it to the track!!! TJ

It would depend on the internal condition of your engine. Being a '92, I would
imagine that the compression has risen a little over these years so using
89 would be questionable.

I use 92 octane with the '96 MP PCM and have never tried 89 in it. My engine
is low mileage for a '97. I did have had one pinging experience (going up
small
inclines) with mine but narrowed the cause to a 'suspect' no brand tank of
gas.
Putting in a bottle of octane booster got rid of the pinging.

Bob Tom Burlington, Ont., Canada
'97 CC Dakota, 5.2L, 4x2, auto., 3.92SG, 4,265 lb (racing weight)
Dyno: 231.2 rwhp 340.0 lb-ft rwtorque
PB: 14.737 @ 91.75 9.364 @ 72.95