RV Options - '92 3.9l 4X4CC

From: dakota@knexa.com
Date: Wed Mar 21 2001 - 17:58:07 EST

Hello Dak List Members,

It's been a while since I have been on the list, but now I am back and here to stay! The recent mixed information I have been getting from salesmen has encouraged me to go to the source... Dakota Truck List Members!!

I have a 1992 3.9l 4X4CC, Magnum V6 Auto, 3.5 Gear Ratio, stock.

I currently own a nice import camper (1000 lbs) and now we are wanting to upgrade to pull an RV Trailer, either a small travel trailer or a small 5th wheel. Can my Dak do that? I have pulled the occasional snowmobile trailer on loan, and it seems to be OK, but an RV is a little bigger. The camper seems to be OK in most situations except for the biggest of mountain passes, where I do have slow down and gear down (2nd). I have always attributed that to wind-resistance.

I have seen travel trailers in the 19' range at around 3000lbs and 23/24' 5th wheels there as well. Which is better, I wonder? Also, I am going to have to back any trailer uphill on a 125' dirt driveway, that sounds like it might be hard to do?

Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated. I know I could get some more HP with a few mods, or change my gear ratio, and even "drop" a 5.2l in, but are those options worth it, or am I going to drive my Dak into an early grave with an RV Trailer?

Thanks in advance,

        Stephen

--
Stephen Hawtree