Rear Axle Seal Problems - 97 dak 4x4

From: Dan B. Tedesco (dtedesco@columbus.rr.com)
Date: Wed Mar 21 2001 - 23:11:37 EST

I was hoping somebody may have this problem.

After owning my dak for about a year I noticed that the truck wanted to
jump when slowing from highway speeds. Of course I took it to the dealer and
they said I was nuts. So, being the mechanic, I yanked the wheels and drums.
I noticed differential fluid in the right rear drum. I took it back and they
replaced the outer axle seal. Now, a year later or so later, I have the same
problem. Is anybody experiencing leaking axles that seem to be incurable? I
am starting to think that the end-play in the axle is fried causing the
seals to prematurely fail.

Dan Tedesco.