Re: IAT box & dyno results -- tech discussion

From: bernd@texas.net
Date: Fri Mar 23 2001 - 11:18:24 EST

Our performance suffers when the engine gets warm because of the location of
the IAT. The factory location wil read (in the summer) about 200 degrees. The
adjuster box doesn't fool the computer with the amount of air (we don't have
Mass Air Systems) but rather the temperature of the air. The temp is related
to volume, but not close to as accurate as Mass Air.

On the efficiency factor, they controllers are designed with a combination of
power and efficiency (leaning toward fuel economy). This isn't a bad thing,
but when trying to adjust for more power, the factory settings aren't quite
right.

On the Mopar PCM and Jet Chip, i'm not certain about Mopars compensations, but
the Jet does alter the IAT output slightly...for $250.

Why do we have an IAT sensor? Because the actual ir temp will be different
from cold start to normal operating temp. This means slightly different timing
and fuel enrichment for the cold to hot running conditions. (Just like the old
Chokes on Carburetors...only without the timing part involved.)

- Bernd