RE: IAT box & dyno results -- tech discussion

From: Jon Smith (jon@fast4x4.net)
Date: Fri Mar 23 2001 - 11:38:40 EST

______________________
Jon Smith--Raleigh, NC
   www.fast4x4.net
   jon@fast4x4.net
     344hp/424tq
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

-Or is it just that the IAT gives a "false high" reading because the engine
-compartment temps are higher than the actual air temp?

the IAT in it's stock location, sits in a HUGE heat sink, being the aluminum
manifold soaking up heat from the heads and everything else...

-One final question... if our engine has a temperature "setting" where it
-runs its best, why do we have an IAT at all?

It runs 'best' at varying temps, the IAT itself, being a thermisistor is
neccessary to cover a wide range of operating temperatures. The old
resistor trick works on the same principle of fooling the pcm... with the
IAT box you can adjust it on the fly, no need to pop the hood :)

-
-Sorry for all the questions -- I'm just trying to get a handle on the
-principles behind how this stuff works. :-)
-
-Thanks,
-
-- Alex