Re: IAT box & dyno results -- tech discussion

From: Shane Moseley (smoseley@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Sat Mar 24 2001 - 00:38:22 EST

Jon Smith wrote:

> the IAT in it's stock location, sits in a HUGE heat sink, being the aluminum
> manifold soaking up heat from the heads and everything else...

And it sits there for a reason - because this is the best place to read the
ACTUAL temp of the air entering the motor. The further away you get - the less
accurate your measured results will be. This will only make the PCM work harder
to control the system. Furthermore, the tip of the sensor (the actual
thermistor) is hanging in free air - even insulated from the metal of the sensor
housing itself. Ever wonder why the end is a hard plastic extending from the
metal base?

Don't shoot the messenger - this is just my findings. Contradict them if you
will - providing proof of course 8).

Latr,

Shane

--
'96 IndyRam-HisIndy-MPI/TB/Pulleys/AccelCoil/MPComp/HookerSuperComps/CompTAs
'96 IndyRam-HerIndy-numbered(#142)"Track Truck"