Re: Dazed and confused

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Sat Mar 24 2001 - 10:12:09 EST

At 11:04 PM 3/23/01 +0000, you wrote:
>I seem to be getting the runaround here. Not on the DML of course, but in
>the long run. According to the "helpful" people at Transgo the shift kit I
>need is for the 1966-2000 Torqueflite Overdrive 518, but I was told here
>that I have the 42RE transmission. Now ... which is it or are these the same
>transmission?

The V6 should have the 42RE. Check the label in your glovebox and see
if the tranny id is listed there (it is on my '97).

If it is not listed there, then get under your truck and look at the shape of
your tranny pan. The 42RE (44RE as well) tranny pan sides are relatively
straight. If there is a very prominent, outward bulge (read huge) in one
of the
sides (passenger side ... back but could be front corner). This is where the
end of the dipstick would end up. If there is a huge outward bulge then your
tranny is a 46RE.

The 42REs and 44REs are descendants of the A500 tranny. The 46RE is
a descendent A518.

If your tranny is a descendant of the A500 (which I'm almost 100% sure
that it is), get a hold of Transgo and ask them if their A518 kit is also for
the A500 tranny or do they have a separate kit for the A500.

HTH.

Bob Tom Burlington, Ont., Canada
'97 Dakota Sport, 4x2, CC, Flame red, 5.2L, auto., 3.92SG