Re: IAT box & dyno results -- tech discussion

From: Shane Moseley (smoseley@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Sat Mar 24 2001 - 23:06:05 EST

Bob Tom wrote:

> Hi, Shane
>
> The only thing that comes to mind is to carefully examine the heads
> (especially leading between/from the valve compartment) for tiny hair-line
> fractures. I had a problem of normal/hot coolant temps for no visible
> reasons once in another vehicle. Only after much external examinations
> were the heads pulled and the hairline fractures discovered (almost
> invisible without careful examination ... magnifying glass would help
> ... use of a dye as well).

Thanks for the info! I was worried about that but so far they are cleaning up
nicely. I've only got to one head so far but am impressed at the accuracy of the
casting - they sure have come along way through the years (my LA motor heads really
suck now 8). If I could turn back the odometer 100k miles - I would do the ole
transmission fluid infusion followed by water infusion trick through the tb at
least every 10-20k miles for sure! Ok - now everybody - be sure to give your
combustion chambers a good cleansing (reminds me of my grandparents always talking
about how much a good colon cleansing always helped 8). Bernd has mentioned this
trick before (trans fluid and water - not the colon comment) - I wish I weren't so
stubborn some times... I only did it twice in 113k miles - obviously wasn't near
enough - especially for those of us who have pinged at one time or another. Mine
only pinged for 15k miles or so before I found the problems (bad MAP sensor and no
baffles in new MP rocker covers) that when fixed - eliminated it for good. Here's
the results of that: http://home.netcom.com/~smoseley/DSC00010.JPG . This photo
was the worse one that shows several things - anyone want to comment - feel free.
It might help verify some of my theories. Thanks in advance.

Latr,

Shane

--
'96 IndyRam-HisIndy-MPI/TB/Pulleys/AccelCoil/MPComp/HookerSuperComps/CompTAs
'96 IndyRam-HerIndy-numbered(#142)"Track Truck"