banging noise

From: Jared Kaplan (blizzard@gis.net)
Date: Sun Mar 25 2001 - 00:07:38 EST

Hey... I've been meaning to post this for some time, but have not really
wanted to because I think it's an expensive fix :) Anyways, when I release
the gas on my 94 Dak (2wd, Auto), often times I hear a "clunk" from the
front of the truck. Also when this happens the RPM meter falls quite low,
then jumps up (the clunk happens when it jumps up again). A friend of mine
had this same noise happen when his front wheel drive car's CV Joint's were
dying, so I am hoping its not that. Do backwheel drive vehicles even have
CV joints, or do they use something different?

Thanks for the help!
Jared
1994 Dakota Sport V6, 3.9L, Auto, K&N, Mobil 1.