synthetics

From: Patrick and Kelly Engram (patrickandkelly@erols.com)
Date: Sun Mar 25 2001 - 08:48:42 EST

I wanted to comment about a recent surprise using synthetic fluids in my
wife's vehicle.
  I have been using Castrol Syntec 10w30 fully synthetic oil in her
vehicle since new. She
drives a '96 Geo Tracker. It now has 97,000 miles. I normally change
the oil approximately evry 7500 miles, and it is always full and fairly
clean looking when I change it (not dark/black color)
 The last oil change, I decided to switch to Mobil 1 from the castrol.
Now, the oil change came due
again, and it was almost 2 qts low, and disgusting black. So, was this
a result from a different oil, or did
something suddenly happen to the sealing capacity of the rings/pistons?
I dont know, but in went the
Mobil 1 again, since I already bought it. But, the next oil change I
may go back to Castrol if the level
is low and black again to see if there is a difference.
  Patrick