Re: Dark Oil?

From: Shane Moseley (smoseley@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Sun Mar 25 2001 - 12:35:32 EST

"Bernd D. Ratsch" wrote:

> Oil will get darker over time. Especially if you've switched from Dino to
> Synthetic. It's basically cleaning the internals from the Dino oil. Give
> it a few oil changes...the oil should turn back to a more normal color (less
> dark).

It is my understanding that ANYTIME you switch brands of oil - whether dino to
dino, dino to syn, syn to dino - you will get a similiar reaction. This is
supposedly due to the fact that each vendor uses a different combination of
detergents and you are seeing a cleaning effect of the newer detergent type.

After seeing the typical scuffing in the lower portions of my cylinder walls
(113k miles later and all dino) - I have to mention the comment in my Mopar
Performance Magnum Engines book about them not recommending pure synthetic oils
due to their lack of sulphur which apparently helps deter scuffing. I wonder
what my cylinders would look like now if I had used synthetic oil all that
time... On a race car - who really cares about a little scuffing - its kinda
expected as they are beat on harder -BUT- on a daily driver that is expected to
last alot longer than 100k miles??? I dunno...

<donning asbestos suit>

Shane

--
'96 IndyRam-HisIndy-MPI/TB/Pulleys/AccelCoil/MPComp/HookerSuperComps/CompTAs
'96 IndyRam-HerIndy-numbered(#142)"Track Truck"