Re: From Dino to Synthetics, now I'm confused.

From: ABeerCan@aol.com
Date: Mon Mar 26 2001 - 22:08:16 EST

In a message dated 3/26/01 8:44:26 PM Central Standard Time, Gmblows@aol.com
writes:

<< Use the Mobil 1 to clean out the Quaker-sludge.
 Don't be skeered it aint gonna hurt nuthin. >>

The sludge used to be true. Quaker State has recently (like the past year or
so) reformulated their oils. It is no longer a parrafin based oil. I got
bored one day a few months back, so I went out and bought one quart of each
brand of oil (Havoline, Discount Auto Parts, Quaker State, Motorcraft, Mobil
1, etc...) that I could get my hands on. All were of the viscosity of
roughly 20W-50. I broke out the coleman stove, a big box of SOS pads, an
infrared thermo and started my project. Of the oils that I intenetionally
burnt to see what their highest boiling/burning point was, Quaker State (the
new stuff), Mobil 1, and Kendall oils had the three highest flash
ponts/boiling points. Mobil 1 had the highest, but it also left a nasty
black film behind that took up three SOS pads. In case you are wondering, I
also bought an iron skillet to test all these in. I did not have a sample of
Amsoil to "burn." As far as I am concerned, Mobil 1 is dang good. I have it
in all the autos that I have around here. Even the wifes Corsica gets it (I
know! I know! I think I have her hooked on a 2001 Intrepid R/T!!!). Just my
$37.14.

Will

"You better hope there is intelligent life out there somewhere,
 Cause I think we got cheated down here on Earth!"