Tire sizes that fit

From: Jeff Durling (jdurling@mindspring.com)
Date: Tue Mar 27 2001 - 22:50:13 EST

I ask once before but figured I throw this one out again. I have a set
of r/t wheels and I am going to replace my tires on my 4x2 QC. The stock
size is 255/65/16 and I am currently looking at a size of 265/60/17.
These are just a little less than a 1/2" taller and little less in
increased width so I am pretty sure they will fit. I would really like
to run 275/60/17's all the way around and wondered what the largest tire
you guys have put on a 2-wheel drive gen III daks (sorry gen II guys).
The 275's are about 1" taller than my stock size (29" dia.) and slightly
more than 3/4" wider than my stock tires (10" width vs. the new 10.83
width). Any and all opinions on this would be appreciated. I have
already checked with the dealer about programming either one of these
sizes in and they said they have the 275's in the system and they can
closely match the 265's. If you are wondering why they said nothing
about what sizes would fit it seems that they claim they do not know
just what's avail. on current dodge trucks and that it would be a
liability for them. I understand about the tire sizes since the durango
r/t was shipping with the 275's last time I checked. Sorry for such a
long one but really want a little more beef under there. I especially
like the Yokohama AVS/ST's. For my type of driving they are perfect.

Jeff Durling
'01 4x2 QC SLT+