New differential cover

From: Victor Carrola, Jr. (carrola@texas.net)
Date: Tue Mar 27 2001 - 22:54:47 EST

I had already bought mobil 1 synthetic to replace the rear differential
fluid in my truck. I was under the truck yesterday and just realized
the factory diff cover has a rubber plug instead of a standard metal
screw-in plug. I was disappointed. I remember reading a couple of
DML'ers talking about replacing the cover with an aftermarket one.
Summit has a cover for me that is $160 (CNF-4062P). They also have one
from Mopar Performance for $20(DCC-3690754), but the guy was not sure it
would work for the 4x4 (maybe he just wanted me to spend the extra
$140). www.moparperformance.com has been down for a few days now, so I
can't check the site out or get their number to call and ask if the
cover will work for my truck. Can someone tell me if this cover will
work, or email me mopar performance's phone number.

I assumed that if the aftermarket cover has more capacity (the $160
cover advertises this fact), I still just fill the diff until it starts
overflowing out of the fill plug. Am I right?

My truck is a 2001 4x4 3.55 LSD, 9.25 rearend. BTW, should I be
changing the front diff fluid at the same time, does it use the same
fluid type. I didn't even look but does it use a crappy rubber plug
also? TIA.