Re: Re: Squeaking.Squealing Fan

From: Shane Moseley (smoseley@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Thu Mar 29 2001 - 21:48:27 EST

"LaMont J. Gilles" wrote:

> Before you run up a large repair bill check the serpentine belt. When the
> belt starts to go it will give some squeaking noises which sound like a bad
> pulley.

I agree. I've had three do the exact same thing! Would have swore it was a
pulley-related noise. Supposedly, its due to those small cracks that are not
really visible until you remove the belt and inspect it. Air being trapped in
those cracks and squeezing out around the pulleys perhaps?

Whatever you do - don't let the dealership do it. I've heard it can costs from
$50 to $150 as they claim to do all kinds of tests before "finally finding it".
Autozone has the belt for $19.95 and it only takes about 5-10mins w/a 15mm
wrench (wrench size from the top of my head)...

Good Luck,

Shane

--
'96 IndyRam-HisIndy-MPI/TB/Pulleys/AccelCoil/MPComp/HookerSuperComps/CompTAs
'96 IndyRam-HerIndy-numbered(#142)"Track Truck"