My truck has an ouchie...

From: Mike Styer (m_styer@go.com)
Date: Sat Mar 31 2001 - 16:38:30 EST

Yup, the ujoint on my truck snapped yesterday afternoon. A flat bed took it home, and I checked it out today. Not only did the two big bearings of the ujoint snap off, but it took an ear off the output shaft (atleast i think that is what the piece is called...it slips onto the rear shaft of the transmission). Of course, no one around here carries that part even for order, so I am going to have to run to the scrap yard Monday and see if they have anything.

For now, I'm heading down to Autozone, picking up a new ujoint, fuel filter, oil, and oil filter, and will be doing all my regular maintenance while the old Dak is up on stands.

Anybody have any tips for changing the ujoint? It looks pretty straight forward and Haines isnt very helpful here. It mentions the rear ujoint (next to the rear axle) but doesnt mention the front one. Oh well. Off the store :)

Later
Mike S.
www.geocities.com/geek_farm/truck.html