Re: RE: powerdyne vs Kenne Belle?

From: Signman615@cs.com
Date: Mon Apr 02 2001 - 20:15:11 EDT

shelbycsx@innernet.net writes:

<< I guess I should have put in there that if could be going on....A 5.9. I
 would really like to hear your opinion on the good/bad points. Including
 price...... >>

The Powerdyne's only two good points that I could see are: 1. Price and 2. I
think their unit is totally sealed and uses a new "space-aged" lubricant. So
you never have to change the oil or tap into existing oil lines. I think the
prices start at around $2,000.

The Kenne Bell is a whipple screw type SC so full boost can come on at 2,000
RPM's. That doesn't mean you will be driving around in boost at all times.
Boost and power depends on how far the throttle is open. Full boost comes in
when the throttle is wide open and does not depend totally on engine RPM's as
the centrifugal's do. For example; You could be cruising down the interstate
in low gear at 4000 RPM at part throttle and not see 1 psi of boost - but
floor it and you get instant full boost. Try that with a centrifugal. I very
rarely see tire spin. I take off normally and once the truck is rolling and
RPM's are @ 2,500 or so I floor it. I'm gone!! If I'm really on it hard and
power shift into 2nd I sometimes get a little spin there, but it's more like
a chirp. If I were stomping on the gas and waiting for my RPM's to get to
4,000 or so then popping the clutch, then I would have some serious tire wear
problems. The boost won't drop off drastically between shifts like a
centrifugal either.

On the KB I have to change the oil in the unit every 12,000 mi. It's very
easy to get to, right on top of the blower and not hard to do once a year.

I'm not sure what is included with the Powerdyne but the KB kits are very
complete. The idea that they come with their own computer to re-curve the
fuel and spark impressed me. The cold air kit is also included which they
claim adds another 13 HP on the 5.9 engines. On a stock 5.9 they dynoed at
232 actual HP. With the addition of just the KB supercharger they got 327 HP.
Keep in mind these are engine HP ratings not rear wheel. The kits are around
$4,000. Of all the posts I read on this and other boards the main complaint
people have had with KB is getting in touch with them was hard and that the
instructions weren't very well put together. I have only read from one person
that they had serious problems with the product and were dissatisfied with
them. And I read and asked a lot.

As always these are just my findings and opinions. Hope this helps.

Paul
00 CC 4x4 Sport
Kenne Belle Supercharged 4.7, 5sp, 3.92 anti-slip rear,Borla Headers, Magnum
Performance TB, and a few other goodies