Camshaft....Roller Lifters? (kinda long)

From: Mark Kuzia (flyboy01@mediaone.net)
Date: Tue Apr 03 2001 - 00:31:06 EDT

The big problem with the magnums are the comparatively heavy lifters and the
roller rockers. I have the Crane/Mopar set and I can wiggle the rocker stud
and watch it move. Sam and I even broke a rocker stud off in his head, they
are quite weak.

I have personal limit of 6200 rpm for my engine. The springs I have should
be able to handle at least 6500 rpm. I would really like to have a stud
girdle or the Hughes rockers which mount a little like the LA series
shaft-style rockers. As for the lifters, I heard that engine builders try to
limit Mopar roller engines to no more than 6500 rpms because the lifter bore
in the block can crack from the weight of the lifter, even if the Mopar
lifters may only be 5 grams lighter, every little bit counts.

I too would like to see them spin a Magnum to 8000 rpms! The real question
is for how long. My engine has seen 6200+ rpms at least 100 times at the
strip and at least a few times a month on the street and I think,
correction, I know my engine will survive 6200. I see no reason why a
balanced short block prepped with good rods and ARP studs can't withstand
these RPMs. I do think that the rockers they (Hughes) produce are the
strongest I have ever seen for these engines. But, unless someone develops a
good lightweight lifter, I would be very cautious about spinning up above
6500.

As for my earlier post, I really think that Hughes does make the best
components for the Magnums, but like any other company selling you stuff, be
cautious as to what horsepower guestimates they tell you. I knew that my 360
would probably never see the 400 hp mark. It takes a serious cam and high
compression to make 450-500 hp on a 360 ci engine. Without question, they
sell the best "real Chrysler" cams out there, they are not Chevy grinds. You
have to remember that the intake to exhaust flow ratio on the Magnums are
close to ideal and require much more duration on the exhaust side to take
advantage of this.

Mark Kuzia
flyboy01@mediaone.net
http://people.mw.mediaone.net/flyboy01/home.html
1995 Dakota 13.79 @ 102.45 mph
360ci, 5-spd, 4.11 LS(8 3/4 coming soon), Cowl-induction
(A new E-body 8 3/4 [3.90 SG] has been built by Reider Racing)
http://www.twistedbits.net/WWWProfile/dakota/FqNiqqo2UjQOY/