RE: 4.7L Spark Plug Info - and question?

From: Sevrence, Sean (S.J.) (ssevrenc@visteon.com)
Date: Tue Apr 03 2001 - 14:25:18 EDT

Just an add-on to your post Al:

For the standard plug design, make sure they are the double platinum - 1
platinum ball on each of the center wire and side wire. They are classified
as APP3923 (2 P's for 2 platinum balls) vs. AP3923 (1 P for single platinum
on the side wire). If not, the gap will still change on you as the center
wire is the material is substantially softer than platinum. The sparking
will eat away at it thus changing the gap.

The AP3923 does provide better protection from gap erosion than the standard
3923. The center wire can transfer the heat away from the spark better than
the side wire and prolong the gap. The APP3923 obviously provides the best
long-term solution.

Does anyone know how the Bosch +4 look? Is there a platinum ball on the
inside of each of the legs and one on the center wire? I haven't looked at
them yet. I still debating what to do on my 4.7L. Thanks all!

Sean
'92 RC Sport 3.9L 5spd - 250,000mi!
'01 CC SLT+ 4.7L 5spd 3.92 LSD Mobil-1!