Re: More Oil Stuff

From: Mike Crumley (mcrumley@airmail.net)
Date: Tue Apr 03 2001 - 15:00:18 EDT

On Mon, 02 Apr 2001 20:49:12 -0400, skipjack@radix.net ("Greg") wrote:

OK, I know what I'm about to suggest is contrary to old school
thinking and is not the way things have always been done, but neither
are modern automobile engines.

>1. When should the first oil change take place. I have always heard that
>the first oil change should take place around 1000 miles because of all the
>new engine metal shavings that are floating around.

While you will never go wrong doing this, it's almost certainly
overkill. Modern engines require no break in period and you generally
don't find metal shavings in the oil like you used to. There was good
reason to do this in the past (and to have the oil tested) and that's
why everybody has "always heard" that this should be done. While
individual service managers may recommend this on a CYA basis, most
manufacturers no longer suggest doing this.

>2. Should I immediately switch to a synthetic oil or should I continue to
>use the old dino juice. I 've heard that dino oil should be used for
>several thousand miles while the engine sets or breaks in.

Again, modern engines no longer require a break in period. There's no
reason not to switch to synthetic at your first oil change. What
you've "always heard" applies to the technology available when those
old rules were formulated. The one obvious exception to this rule, of
course, is the 3000 mile oil change interval which is being
perpetuated by the oil industry in order to get people to buy oil more
often. Switch to synthetic, use a good oil filter and go on a 5000
mile oil change interval and you'll *still* be changing oil more often
than necessary to keep your engine on top shape.
97 V6 Auto
e-mail mcrumley@airmail.net

"We live in a society!"--George Lewis Costanza