RE: Auto or Manual, that is the question

From: Rob Parenti (rparenti@bellsouth.net)
Date: Wed Apr 04 2001 - 22:10:38 EDT

I enjoy shifting, so I got the 5-speed manual on my '00 and have not
regretted it for a minute.

Ron's right about the auto having it's own computer. There is actually
twice as much code for the tranny as there is for the entire engine. My
brother is an engineer at chrysler and he said this in a recent mail
(AN=Dakota DN=Durango WJ=Grand Cherokee):

"545RFE is our new rear-wheel drive auto trans, I'm responsible for the
logic. It launched in the 99 WJ, and is now on the AN and DN, and the
RAM(DR) next year. It's matched up to the new generation engines 4.7, 3.7,
5.7. It's a great enhancement for these engines cause of the "peaky and
narrow" torque curves really benefit from the low end torque multiplication
of the torque converter."

I happen to enjoy the torque multiplication of 3rd gear and a 3.92 LSD!

--Rob--