Re: IAT and the 4.7L

From: Shane Moseley (smoseley@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Thu Apr 05 2001 - 06:52:21 EDT

bernd@texas.net wrote:

> Hehehehehe....ok Shane, I basically said the same thing...in 50 words or less
> though. ;)

Man - after writing a whole chapter - and noone disagrees? Guess I've come to
expect a good argument every now and then 8). Lets keep the testing going and see
what pops up... there is always more to learn. BTW - since I've never had a dyno
test done, how do they control the acceleration? I assumed WOT or something close
to it???

> In Closed-Loop, you're at the mercy of the PCM.

Unless you can manipulate the O2 sensor signal. And thats not gonna be a trivial
"black box" electronic circuit - or is it? I assume the challenges are the
operating in the millivolt range, input/output impedence, and response time.. How
about a voltage follower circuit? Human input could be a variable resistance
controlling the difference in voltages? Trying to think back to my electronics
classes... Off the top of my head doesn't a simple op-amp circuit provide a
transformation something like: v(out) = v(in)*R where R is just a simple resistor?
No wait - I seem to recall 2 inputs and 1 output where it sensed the difference
between the input voltages - multiplied that by its characteristic gain A and that
result showed up on the output??? Does that sound right? So then maybe a unity
gain (A=1) op-amp with the ability to control the voltage difference between the two
inputs? A few other things probably need to be considered - input/output impedence
and frequency response perhaps?

Ok - who wants to be a guinea pig? Wait - you can easily bench test an O2 sensor
using a propane torch to add - take away oxygen while scoping the output...

> Other key point,
> relocating the IAT works almost as well but the fine tuning is where my box
> comes in. You can run either way...but on really cold days (50 or below)

50 or below 8))

Latr,

Shane

--
'96 IndyRam-HisIndy-MPI/TB/Pulleys/AccelCoil/MPComp/HookerSuperComps/CompTAs
'96 IndyRam-HerIndy-numbered(#142)"Track Truck"