Re: power steering gearbox question?

From: Will Coughlin (willcoughlin@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Apr 05 2001 - 09:30:08 EDT

I haven't done it on a Dakota, but i did replace mine on my old 4 wheel
drive. It wasn't that big of a deal, just have to take the lines out of it,
remove the steering arm, and unbolt the box. New one goes back the same way.
I got mine from the junkyard and I think I gave like $15 for the first one,
and $20 or $25 for the second one.I busted 2 because I kept getting my
steering in a bind while snaking logs out of the woods with it. It wore the
boxes out internally pretty bad. I could turn each of them like 3/4 of a
round of the wheel before you could tell a diference in where it was
going.HTH,

Will Coughlin willcoughlin@hotmail.com
'00 reg.cab,2wd,4.7L/NV-3500HD5-spd/3.92sg(9.25")
http://www.geocities.com/willcoughlin/index.html

----Original Message Follows----
From: loose wheels <1991dak@team.camaroZ28.com>

   My truck has so much play in the steering wheel I can move it almost a
full inch in either direction without moving the tires. Needless to say if I
don't do something soon I'm going to wish I had.
   So the question is: Has anyone replaced their power steering gearbox? If
so how much did it cost? Did you replace it yourself? etc. etc. Any
information is appreciated.

TIA
W.F.Wheels
91' CC 4x4 323ci