Re: how hot does your 4.7 get

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
Date: Thu Apr 05 2001 - 18:15:41 EDT

On Thu, Apr 05, 2001 at 08:45:47AM -0700, Bill Pitz <dakota@billpitz.com> wrote:
> At 09:57 AM 4/5/01 -0500, you wrote:
> > how hot does everybodys 4.7 get on a hot day say about 90 degrees need to
> >know please post.
> >arnold
>
> Last summer I drove about 12 miles up a windy mountain road (pretty heavy
> grade most of the way up) in 100+ degree weather and it didn't even
> hesitate. Obviously, had the A/C running too :) Anyway, I would have to
> look at the guage to give you a rough estimate of what the oil temp. was,
> since I don't remember the exact positioning of the numbers. :) I think it
> was about 3/4 of the way up. Keeping the truck in a lower gear (I have the
> auto trans.) made a significant difference since the transmission wasn't
> heating up. (shifting up when I got to a flat section in the road, then
> shifting down again when the road started going up)
>
> Also, I have all of the heavy duty service options, including engine and
> transmission cooling, which make a difference.

210-220. Dropped down below 210 once I left it in 2nd gear going up.
(Less heat coming from the trans, obviously)

That was, as I mentioned, in 100+ degree weather driving over a mountain.
Average is down around 200 in the summer time, where it is usually about
85-90 here during the day.

--
Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
'00 Dakota CC SLT 4X4 4.7L V8 (Loaded)