Fuel line help needed

From: Jon Steiger (jon@dakota-truck.net)
Date: Thu Apr 05 2001 - 18:17:43 EDT

    I've got a little problem with my '92 Ram 4x4 (318ci Magnum) and
thought I'd troll for some advice. :-) When I went to start it yesterday
I got a nice thick stream of fuel pouring out from under the truck as soon
as I turned the ignition on. It was spraying out of the fuel supply line
under the cab, where a braided stainless line connects to the hard
line. On one end of the stainless line (closest to the engine) is a quick
connect fitting, but the end that was leaking appears to be crimped
on. (?) I did get a fuel line repair tube at Autozone for GM/Chrysler
which has that "heat then install" tubing which I guess is supposed to
contract upon cooling and provide enough pressure to hold the line on. I
thought that might work but after I disconnected the stainless line from
the hard line I noticed that the hard line doesn't have any ridges or
anything (in fact I think part of the hard line is still inside the
stainless).

   I just thought I'd check to see if anyone else might have any experience
in this area. I did check with the dealer and they would be more than
happy to sell me the entire fuel line system for about $200. :-P (I'll
convert my entire fuel system to braided stainless before I pay that!!) A
couple of thoughts I've had, which maybe someone smarter than I can tell me
wether they're worth pursuing or not, are:

    1 - Cut the end off the braided stainless line and use an Aeroquip
style connector to attach another section of braided line and just run that
all the way to the fuel filter, bypassing the hard line.

    2 - Same as above except that I'd use an adaptor to convert the
Aeroquip style connector to an NPT thread, try to flare the rusty hard line
and use a compression fitting to reconnect them.

   Keep in mind that this is fuel injected so it will see 50-60 psi...

   Any advice? :-)

                                               -Jon-

   .--- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu ---.
   | Affiliations: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA; Rec & UL Pilot - SEL |
   | '92 Ram 150 4x4 V8, '96 Dakota V8, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly 447 |
   `------------------------------ http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ----'