Re: what is the fastest speed anyone has gone here?

From: Will Coughlin (willcoughlin@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Apr 05 2001 - 18:28:35 EDT

Arnold, I won't make any comments on the actual testing of this, but I will
tell how you how to figure your theoretical top speed.I can tell you my
engine speed at any given speed.With my 255/65/R15 goodyears, 3.92 gear
ratio, and overdrive(5th) in my 5-speed, my effective gear ratio is 2.86:1
I could then use that in a mph/rpm calculator to calcualte my engine rpm at
a given speed. All you would really need to do is use the calculator the
other way, enter 6000 rpms(the 4.7L rev limit), and it will spit out a speed
in mph that you can estimate to be your top speed.Now, If I remember right,
you have the 45RFE auto, and you have changed your wheels/tire size.So, you
would need to adjust the effective gear ratio to match your equipment.
Remember though, that unless you have had your 4.7L PCM reprogrammed with
the speed limiter removed, you will only be able to go as fast as the
limiter is set on your truck, which depends on the OE tires you had.
Again, be careful,and please don't try to test this physically!

Will Coughlin willcoughlin@hotmail.com
'00 reg.cab,2wd,4.7L/NV-3500HD5-spd/3.92sg(9.25")
http://www.geocities.com/willcoughlin/index.html

----Original Message Follows----
From: "Arnoldo Silva" <silva@rio.bravo.net>

  this is dangerous and stupid i know but what is the fastest speed that
anyone here has gone in a gen III dakota and what rpm were you at and what
gear do you have in rear end?
thanks
arnold