Re: Stupid, was, what is the fastest speed anyone has gone here?

From: Mark Kuzia (flyboy01@mediaone.net)
Date: Fri Apr 06 2001 - 00:12:04 EDT

I have hit the rev-limiter racing a Camaro at 118 in my 94 Dak when she was
new, I hit the rev-limiter in my 99 Dak (108 mph), and I have had the 95 up
to around 120 once, pretty scary with a 150,000 mile pickup truck
suspension! I really think that Chrysler put a speed limit on Dakotas for a
good reason, they are pickups and are inherently unstable at those speeds.

I once managed to drive from Detroit to Toledo and back at well over 100 mph
in my 1970 Z-28, sometimes hitting speeds over 130 mph through Friday night
traffic. What made this especially stupid was that I did this on bias-ply
tires!

I had gone faster in my 89 Mustang, 140+ three different times (not stock).
I was pulled over by a cop the last time, he was sitting in the median when
I passed him, I knew he saw me so I slowed down to 70, a few minutes later
he went flying by me at 100+ mph. I was not that lucky though, he slammed on
his brakes after he realized he passed me and pulled me over. I never did
get a ticket, but I felt he was serious (and quite angry) when he told me he
never wanted to see me in that county again, needless to say, I haven't been
back since. Sorta taught me a lesson.

Have you ever thought of what happens to a street vehicle when it crashes at
100+ mph? They disintegrate into tiny chunks! I remember a few years ago, a
few kids clipped an embankment at 150+ mph in a corvette near here. There
literally was nothing left of the car or them. Looking back on this now, I
realize how stupid it was to travel highways at those kind of speeds. I
could have killed someone or myself. If there are any young DML'rs reading,
don't be stupid like I was, I got lucky that I am still alive. You might not
be so lucky.

P.S. I absolute fastest I have ever been (safely) was flying right seat in a
Beech King Air 400, I had it redlined at 300+ knots at 70% power. (300 knots
= 350 mph) I made it from Toledo, OH to Auburn, IN in 20 minutes. That was a
blast!

Mark Kuzia
flyboy01@mediaone.net
http://people.mw.mediaone.net/flyboy01/home.html
1995 Dakota 13.79 @ 102.45 mph
360ci, 5-spd, 4.11 LS(8 3/4 coming soon), Cowl-induction
(A new E-body 8 3/4 [3.90 SG] has been built by Reider Racing)
http://www.twistedbits.net/WWWProfile/dakota/FqNiqqo2UjQOY/