Re: 4x4 Gearing

From: Walter Felix (walt_felix@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Apr 06 2001 - 12:19:14 EDT

When I swapped around the gears in my Dakota, I went from stock size
tires/3.55 gears to 31x10.50R/3.91 Gears to 33x13.50/4.10 Gears.

One day I was driving past on of those portable Radar/Speed signs the Police
set up around here. It has a radar gun built in to the sign and tells you
what speed you are being clocked at. I wasn’t sure how accurate my
speedometer was after swapping to 3.91 gears & 33" tires so I took a couple
of laps. When the sign said I was doing 50mph and so did my speedometer, so
I would say 32” tires with 3.91 gears will read slightly high. When I
swapped to 4.10 gears, I found I was reading low. With 4.10, the truck has
more torque off road but sacrificed a little on the highway.

With the 32” tires, I would stay with 3.91 gears if you plan to regularly
drive it on the street.

Walt Felix
88½ Dakota Sport 4x4, 2000 Ram 1500 QuadCab Sport 4x4 and a 67 Barracuda
Coupe 340/4Speed
Walt@Walt-n-Ingrid.COM
http://WWW.Walt-n-Ingrid.COM
http://WWW.MoparsinMotion.COM